EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2017-10-22 17:40:18
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 220.127.116.11
See discussion of various considerations and comparison details on the 35mm comparison page, not repeated here.
For this test, both cameras were focused very accurately (confirmed at max aperture):
As of late 2012, these were the best 21mm lenses available for these two cameras. I would personally rate the about $5000 Leica 21/3.4 Super-Elmar-M ASPH as a somewhat superior lens overall to the about $1843 Zeiss 21/2.8 Distagon, but it is not entirely fair, as the Distagon is 1/2 of a stop faster, and has to deal with a DSLR telecentric design.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 7 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q, Leica SL and Leica S.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 28 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.