EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2018-03-23 07:48:17
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 126.96.36.199
Does the Leica M Typ 240 deliver more detail than the M9P?
This question is actually a non-trivial one as there are a variety of issues at play:
- Does the M240 offer more total detail, at least at ƒ/8 or so?
- Does the choice of aperture matter, e.g., are there sensor characteristics with either camera that make wider apertures resolve less than the lens delivers?
- Does M240 sharpness behave any differently from the M9P at the edges or corners versus center?
- Is any difference enough to matter for a print?
- Are there other factors, such as aliasing and color that are involved?
These questions are relevant to real-world images: the use of test charts is not particularly instructive when real-world details are imaged; such detail is often more of a challenge to image sharply due to color variation interaction with the sensor color filter array, frequency variation, and sensor aliasing. Moreover, it is only real-world images that actually matter in the end.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 7 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q, Leica SL.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 28 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.