EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2017-02-26 11:16:01
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 220.127.116.11
Does the Leica M Typ 240 deliver more detail than the M9P?
This question is actually a non-trivial one as there are a variety of issues at play:
- Does the M240 offer more total detail, at least at ƒ/8 or so?
- Does the choice of aperture matter, e.g., are there sensor characteristics with either camera that make wider apertures resolve less than the lens delivers?
- Does M240 sharpness behave any differently from the M9P at the edges or corners versus center?
- Is any difference enough to matter for a print?
- Are there other factors, such as aliasing and color that are involved?
These questions are relevant to real-world images: the use of test charts is not particularly instructive when real-world details are imaged; such detail is often more of a challenge to image sharply due to color variation interaction with the sensor color filter array, frequency variation, and sensor aliasing. Moreover, it is only real-world images that actually matter in the end.
Article continues for subscribers...
Already a subscriber? CLICK HERE TO LOG IN
Since 2009, Diglloyd Guide to Leica is the authoritative review and reference for Leica M lenses: Leica M, Zeiss ZM, Voigtlander, as well as Leica M digital bodies. Leica S is also included.
It includes hundreds of pages of exclusive coverage and high resolution Retina-grade examples covering Leica M-System lenses and digital bodies with in-depth performance comparisons and analysis.