EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2018-04-20 07:44:20
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 188.8.131.52
This page compares the M240 + 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH against the Sigma DP1 Merrill using the same image as the prior page; that page used native resolution for all, but this page uses matched resolution.
See the testing comments on the M240 + 28mm vs Sigma DP1 Merrill Native Resolution page.
To match the resolution without a native vs non-native bias, images were all forced through an upsampling + downsampling cycle as follows:
- Upsampled to 9000 pixels wide
- Downsampled to 5600 pixels wide (a very slight reduction for the M240 from 5976, and a 19% linear enlargement for the Sigma DP1M).
- Mild sharpening.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 7 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q, Leica SL.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 28 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.