EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2018-03-23 07:50:20
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 184.108.40.206
The about $899 Sigma DP1 Merrill (“DP1M”) incorporates a fixed 28mm f/2.8 (equiv) lens on an APS-C sensor. [Its two siblings offer 45mm and 75mm options with the same sensor. All are reviewed in Guide to Mirrorless]. The Sigma Foveon X3 sensor is 15 X 3 megapixels producing 14.75-megapixel finished RGB images. It has no need for an anti-aliasing filter and does not suffer from the digital artifacts (moiré, color aliasing, jagged edges, etc) seen with conventional Bayer matrix sensors e.g., the CMOS sensor in the Leica M240.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 7 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q, Leica SL.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 28 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.