EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2018-04-19 23:35:03
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 22.214.171.124
Firmware version 126.96.36.199.
The about $550 Leica Visoflex EVF2 is a welcome addition: composition and precise focus with fast lenes is much improved, but there are frustrating shortcomings:
- The EVF zooms to 10X in the center of the frame only. There is no ability to focus anywhere but the center.
- When desiring off-center focus, there is no solution other than recomposing the image after focusing. As a result, one cannot compensate for field curvature or focus-and-recompose, especially key for wide aperture lenses.
- The EVF has no eye sensor, so a awkward push-button must be used anytime one wishes to switch views between the rear LCD and the EVF or neither (this turns out to be a source of a lot of button pressing, and somewhat confusing too).
- The implementation (zooming) is definitely not a substitute for the rangefinder if and when one needs context to choose the right moment.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 7 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q, Leica SL.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 28 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.