EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2018-06-17 23:03:12
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 22.214.171.124
This is a personal experience report. In June of 2013 after some months of waiting I finally and unexpectedly received two phone calls: one for a Leica M Typ 240 and one for the unobtanium Leica 50mm f/2 APO-Summicron-M ASPH: two brand-new items in very high demand representing the very latest and best of Leica M technology.
Given the extreme cost of this gear, it would be natural to assume that it would be perfect right out of the box. This is a bad assumption with any gear, but particularly so with Leica M gear: past travails (hardly a complete list) include a maladjusted lens (28/2.8 Elmarit) and a loose lens element (21/3.4 SEM).
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 7 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q, Leica SL.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 28 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.