EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2018-02-19 14:06:51
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 184.108.40.206
Leica SL camera firmware v2.0, latest as of June 2016.
Leica M240 firmware v220.127.116.11.
Adobe Camera Raw 9.6 (625) in Photoshop CC 2015 20160113 r.355, latest versions as of 2016-06-20.
This page looks at issues with the Leica SL and Leica M240 using Leica M lenses ( Leica M-Adapter-T required for M lenses on the SL):
- With equivalent conversions (white balance and tint), color rendition of the Leica SL vs Leica M240 is shown. The results here were seen to be general results applying to all M lenses and are NOT specific to the lens used here (18mm f/3.8 SEM).
- The Leica SL DNG files from M lenses have lens corrections enforced by Adobe Camera Raw (no option to disable). This changes the field of view and degrades sharpness.
- Adobe Camera Raw has a “double correction” bug in which it is possible to enable lens corrections twice, resulting in a an erroneous output file. This bug has been reported to Adobe.
- Images with and without distortion correction.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 7 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q, Leica SL.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 28 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.