EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2019-08-20 21:10:43
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 188.8.131.52
MTF can be measured from a real lens, or computed from a lens design. Leica uses computed MTF which therefore means the graphs are fantasy graphs assuming perfect (impossible) actual lenses. Long experience with a lot of Leica M glass shows that real lenses rarely if ever are fully symmetric across the field, nor do they perform as well as computed charts suggest.
This page looks at MTF for the Leica 24-90mm f/2.8-4 Vario-Elmarit-SL ASPH OIS.
The MTF charts show that the Leica 24-90mm f/2.8-4 Vario-Elmarit-SL ASPH offers outstanding performance at every zoom setting for the central 3/4 or so of the frame, rolling off into the edges and corners. But that does not account for distortion correction, and the MTF is not measured from a real lens.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd L-Mount Mirrorless is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now
Diglloyd L-Mount Mirrorless offers comprehensive coverage of emerging L-mount lens mount mirrorless cameras and lenses (Leica, Panasonic and Sigma L-Mount cameras and lenses). Available with diglloyd Mirrorless as a bundle, or separately. (L-Mount = Leica, Panasonic and Sigma cameras and lenses using L-Mount).
- Choose the best camera and lenses for your needs, based on objective evaluation and comparisons.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning—best practices and how-to and processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Camera image quality, ergonomics, operation settings and considerations.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Capture superior images by understanding lens behavior discussed nowhere else.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Click on any page below to see an excerpt. Or see by topic, for example Panasonic S1R.