EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2021-09-20 18:45:33
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 188.8.131.52
The Leica 28mm f/2 APO-Summicron-SL ASPH generally has excellent flare control. But it is readily seen that with a bright light source just out of the frame, a major loss of contrast develops.
Example: backlit sunflowers
The example here is repeatable at will with any similar scene.
I used my hand to shade the front lens element in the Shaded frame. The slight framing difference is immaterial, as I determined in real time shading/unshading the lens.
A major loss of contrast is seen when the front lens element is not shaded—considerable veiling flare as well as a streak seen near the top of the frame. This weakness can be seen to disappear if the sun is further out of the frame, and it’s also better when the sun is in the frame. Thing is, the sun just out of the frame is a very common shooting angle for me in the outdoors. So the lens must be shaded for many shots.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd L-Mount Mirrorless is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now
Diglloyd L-Mount Mirrorless offers comprehensive coverage of emerging L-mount lens mount mirrorless cameras and lenses (Leica, Panasonic and Sigma L-Mount cameras and lenses). Available with diglloyd Mirrorless as a bundle, or separately. (L-Mount = Leica, Panasonic and Sigma cameras and lenses using L-Mount).
- Choose the best camera and lenses for your needs, based on objective evaluation and comparisons.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning—best practices and how-to and processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Camera image quality, ergonomics, operation settings and considerations.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Capture superior images by understanding lens behavior discussed nowhere else.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Click on any page below to see an excerpt. Or see by topic, for example Panasonic S1R.