EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2021-09-26 08:26:38
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 22.214.171.124
The Leica 35mm f/2 APO-Summicron-SL ASPH is prone to severe flare issues when a bight light source is just out of the frame as well as when the sun is in the frame. Some images are all but obliterated by veiling flare.
Shooting towards the sun makes it an absolute requirment that the front lens element be shaded.
The behavior is at its worst precisely in the situations I am most likely to shoot in—wonderful backlightingin the outdoors, dramatic lighting.
Deja vu: as with the Leica 50mm f/2 APO-Summicron-M ASPH, I found these flare problems with the 35/2 APO-SL within 5 minutes. Actually, on the very first shot I took out my front door of a backlit oak tree. It’s unbelievable that Leica is shipping this lens to customers when even the most rudimentary real-world testing shows the issues instantly.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd L-Mount Mirrorless is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now
Diglloyd L-Mount Mirrorless offers comprehensive coverage of emerging L-mount lens mount mirrorless cameras and lenses (Leica, Panasonic and Sigma L-Mount cameras and lenses). Available with diglloyd Mirrorless as a bundle, or separately. (L-Mount = Leica, Panasonic and Sigma cameras and lenses using L-Mount).
- Choose the best camera and lenses for your needs, based on objective evaluation and comparisons.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning—best practices and how-to and processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Camera image quality, ergonomics, operation settings and considerations.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Capture superior images by understanding lens behavior discussed nowhere else.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Click on any page below to see an excerpt. Or see by topic, for example Panasonic S1R.