EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2019-10-18 23:34:09
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 184.108.40.206
In June 2016 I obtained another brand-new Leica SL and Leica 24-90mm lens for testing, to follow up on the January 2016 review. The latest firmware was promptly installed.
Back in Jan 2016, I found unacceptable focus accuracy issues as well as marginal lens performance (documented and shown). I had hoped that at least the AF issues would be resolved. This page shows that those issue are not resolved, and that autofocus is error prone, at least under the outdoor conditions I shoot in.
In discussing focus issues across brands, I often get pushback, summed up as “works great for me”. Asking for more info, I receive back a gradually widening circle of admissions such as “not that I ever did any shooting like yours” and/or “yeah, stopped down”, “in the studio at close range”—and so on.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd L-Mount Mirrorless is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now
Diglloyd L-Mount Mirrorless offers comprehensive coverage of emerging L-mount lens mount mirrorless cameras and lenses (Leica, Panasonic and Sigma L-Mount cameras and lenses). Available with diglloyd Mirrorless as a bundle, or separately. (L-Mount = Leica, Panasonic and Sigma cameras and lenses using L-Mount).
- Choose the best camera and lenses for your needs, based on objective evaluation and comparisons.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning—best practices and how-to and processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Camera image quality, ergonomics, operation settings and considerations.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Capture superior images by understanding lens behavior discussed nowhere else.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Click on any page below to see an excerpt. Or see by topic, for example Panasonic S1R.