EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2021-06-13 19:06:58
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 220.127.116.11
Panasonic S1R firmware version 1.0.
The purpose of magnified Live View is presumably to nail focus, at least that is how I use it. The ability to acquire spot-on focus is an absolutely critical function. When a camera’s facilities make it difficult to ensure optimal focus, it becomes questionable whether that camera even makes it to the starting line for consideration.
While focusing Leica M lenses on the Panasonic S1R one evening, I had a large failure rate in obtaining correct focus with the Panasonic S1R, due to the inadequate magnification—4 of 6 series were off. Manual focus accuracy is a disaster on the S1R, in spite of its ultra high resolution EVF. It is not just my experience; one very experienced and credible reader sending me examples showed all sorts of errors also. Later experience with f/1.4 DSLR lenses confirmed the problem—the EVF makes it hard for me to nail focus.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd L-Mount Mirrorless is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now
Diglloyd L-Mount Mirrorless offers comprehensive coverage of emerging L-mount lens mount mirrorless cameras and lenses (Leica, Panasonic and Sigma L-Mount cameras and lenses). Available with diglloyd Mirrorless as a bundle, or separately. (L-Mount = Leica, Panasonic and Sigma cameras and lenses using L-Mount).
- Choose the best camera and lenses for your needs, based on objective evaluation and comparisons.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning—best practices and how-to and processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Camera image quality, ergonomics, operation settings and considerations.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Capture superior images by understanding lens behavior discussed nowhere else.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Click on any page below to see an excerpt. Or see by topic, for example Panasonic S1R.