EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2021-06-13 19:32:02
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 18.104.22.168
The Panasonic S1R is a beast of a camera compared to the Nikon Z7 or the Sony A7R III. At 1020 grams with battery and memory card, it is a serious pain in the neck, being the better part of a pound (half kilogram) heavier than the Nikon Z7.
Having used the Leica SL (similar weight) in the field and fining it excessively heavy, the Panasonic S1R adds another 1/3 of a pound! The weight is a serious consideration for just about anyone, which is ironic given the ready adaptability of compact Leica M lenses.
In the hand
In my relatively large hands, the Panasonic S1R feels heavy and uncomfortable to hold with a single hand even with its lightest lens, the Panasonic 24-105mm f/4 Macro OIS (1764 grams even without camera strap). The S1R is not a camera I’d want to shoot with all day for photojournalism or weddings and so on.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd L-Mount Mirrorless is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now
Diglloyd L-Mount Mirrorless offers comprehensive coverage of emerging L-mount lens mount mirrorless cameras and lenses (Leica, Panasonic and Sigma L-Mount cameras and lenses). Available with diglloyd Mirrorless as a bundle, or separately. (L-Mount = Leica, Panasonic and Sigma cameras and lenses using L-Mount).
- Choose the best camera and lenses for your needs, based on objective evaluation and comparisons.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning—best practices and how-to and processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Camera image quality, ergonomics, operation settings and considerations.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Capture superior images by understanding lens behavior discussed nowhere else.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Click on any page below to see an excerpt. Or see by topic, for example Panasonic S1R.