EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2022-05-25 12:40:17
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 18.104.22.168
Highly variable sample quality aside with terrible quality control seen repeatedly with multiple samples,you might get a reasonably good sample at most 1 in 5 times. I’ve given up on finding a good sample of this lens. The 32-64mm disappoints in its distortion as well.
Most zoom lenses have barrel distortion at the wide end, no distortion somewhere in the middle, and pincushion distortion at the long end. The 32-64mm is unusual in that it has near-zero distortion at the wide end, but rapidly turns to pincushion distortion all the way to the telephoto end. Pincushion distortion is highly objectionable for two reasons. First, a pinched in look is far less acceptable to the eye than a bowed-out look. Second, distortion correction for pincushion distortion degrades micro contrast and sharpness to the greatest degree in a large central area of the frame, which is the most important area of all for the vast majority of images.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Medium Format is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 33 cents a day ($120/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
These systems are hugely expensive, so make the right choice for your own needs (full frame vs medium format).
- In-depth lens evaluations covering behaviors not likely to be found anywhere else, based on real-world field shooting.
- How to configure menus and buttons and best operating practices, gotchas and how-to.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens and camera behaviors.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 100 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.