EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2021-06-24 09:06:52
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 22.214.171.124
These issues existed at the time of review in March 2017 using the GFX-50R. Some issues might have been improved in firmware and/or with subsequent models. See 2020.06.30 firmware update notes and GFX100 firmware update all versions.
See also the serious drawbacks page, which lists the issues I consider serious.
Over a decade of testing, I have found that initial impressions tend to correlate very strongly with whether a camera “works out” or not—a few particulars improve with familiarity, but most do not. So right or “wrong” (how can a feeling or impression be wrong, it being what it is?), I record what here what I felt/reacted to in first setting up the GFX right out of the box. My reactions free of any pre-conceived notions other than a decade of shooting just about every pro and prosumer camera out there along with extensive field shooting with most of them, and knowing what works, and what does not work. That long experience provide a bedrock foundation for evaluating behaviors that work for me or against me.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Medium Format is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 33 cents a day ($120/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
These systems are hugely expensive, so make the right choice for your own needs (full frame vs medium format).
- In-depth lens evaluations covering behaviors not likely to be found anywhere else, based on real-world field shooting.
- How to configure menus and buttons and best operating practices, gotchas and how-to.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens and camera behaviors.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 100 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.