EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2022-08-18 16:46:41
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 18.104.22.168
An immediate issue is aspect ratio. The Leica S2 has a 3:2 aspect ratio, just like a 35mm DSLR. Most medium format cameras offer a 4:3 aspect ratio, so this might be unacceptable to some pros, but it will feel right at home to 35mm DSLR users.
Target market for the S2
The S2 is in a “squeeze” situation: below it in price are the Nikon and Canon pro DSLRs, soon to nudge up against the 37.5 megapixels of the S2, perhaps with 30 megapixels, or even a bit more. And perhaps for the first time, without an AA filter.
A Nikon D4x at 32 megapixels without an anti-aliasing (blur) filter would make the S2 proposition start to look quite shaky; a 50% sensor size advantage is just not that important, and Nikon has years of experience with noise control at high ISO, where the S2 just can’t compete beyond the low ISOs. Already, the Nikon D3x and D3s demonstrate outstanding image quality in most regards, and the depth and breadth of the system is astonishing. Take it one step further, and .... game over. And maybe not just for Leica, leaving only the high-high end market for the medium format vendors.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Medium Format is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 33 cents a day ($120/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
These systems are hugely expensive, so make the right choice for your own needs (full frame vs medium format).
- In-depth lens evaluations covering behaviors not likely to be found anywhere else, based on real-world field shooting.
- How to configure menus and buttons and best operating practices, gotchas and how-to.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens and camera behaviors.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 100 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.