EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2021-09-28 04:19:26
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 220.127.116.11
Commentary on this page is from 2010.
This page documents autofocus error with the Leica S2 using the 35mm, 70mm and 120mm lenses in October 2010. The S2 body and lenses used were provided by Leica USA, and were not the same body as for the pages written in July 2010.
When I first reviewed the S2 in July 2010, I found some autofocus issues with certain subjects. But it turns out that the autofocus errors are not limited to those types of subjects.
The S2 autofocus system frequently backfocuses by an amount that requires stopping down to f/8 to mitigate. (Backfocus means focusing behind the subject).
This is not an optical performance issue; the S2 lenses, focused properly, are absolutely outstanding, and unlikely to be equalled by other medium format lenses (see the H4D-50 review ).
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Medium Format is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 33 cents a day ($120/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
These systems are hugely expensive, so make the right choice for your own needs (full frame vs medium format).
- In-depth lens evaluations covering behaviors not likely to be found anywhere else, based on real-world field shooting.
- How to configure menus and buttons and best operating practices, gotchas and how-to.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens and camera behaviors.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 100 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.