EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2019-08-24 16:38:59
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 126.96.36.199
The Leica 180mm f/3.5 APO Elmar-S is the “longest” lens for the Leica S2, equivalent to a 144mm lens on a full-frame 36X24mm DSLR. It is almost exactly the same weight as the 120mm f/2.5 macro, but is almost 1" longer in length.
The 180/3.5 is capable of considerable background blur and subject isolation, great for certain types of portraiture or fashion photography.
Its performance according to its MTF chart is phenomenally good, and something only the very best super telephotos for 35mm DSLRs might approach. The 120mm f/2.5 APO-Macro-Summarit-S might be marginally better overall, but the distinction is minor.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Medium Format is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 33 cents a day ($120/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
These systems are hugely expensive, so make the right choice for your own needs (full frame vs medium format).
- In-depth lens evaluations covering behaviors not likely to be found anywhere else, based on real-world field shooting.
- How to configure menus and buttons and best operating practices, gotchas and how-to.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens and camera behaviors.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 100 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.