EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2019-08-24 16:32:21
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 18.104.22.168
Leica makes very some pretty amazing claims about the S2 lens line:
The S lenses are in a class of their own. Peak performance at full aperture and minimum focus are a requirement for all Leica S lenses. All lenses are optimized for the image sensor in the S2. They are devoid of imaging errors, manufactured from the highest quality glass and metals, and adjusted by hand. Digital correction of optical errors is unnecessary and the image sensor can translate the optical performance into the perfect picture without compromising image quality.
Leica goes on to say that:
All S lenses stand out in attaining their maximum optical performance at full aperture...
That latter claim is disproven by Leica’s own MTF charts for the 35mm and 70mm lenses, and of course real world pictures should quickly establish its veracity. But all indications suggest that the S lenses are very special optics.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Medium Format is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 33 cents a day ($120/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
These systems are hugely expensive, so make the right choice for your own needs (full frame vs medium format).
- In-depth lens evaluations covering behaviors not likely to be found anywhere else, based on real-world field shooting.
- How to configure menus and buttons and best operating practices, gotchas and how-to.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens and camera behaviors.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 100 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.