EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2023-12-02 00:43:34
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 220.127.116.11
Detail is not just about the sensor; the lenses must deliver peak quality to the entire sensor, or there is simply no point to more megapixels! Furthermore, diffraction limits contrast and resolution, so a lens that must be stopped down to f/8 or f/11 will never deliver the brilliance of one that peaks by f/4 or f/5.6; this is critical for high resolution digital.
Leica has developed outstanding new optics for the S2, and the lenses available prove that for a price, outstanding image quality is possible. Actually, given the lens performance, the Leica S lenses look like an outstanding value in comparison to other medium format optics.
The lenses for the S2 look to be as good as the very best medium format lenses ever developed, and probably better. Leica was wise to choose a reasonable size sensor at 45 X 30mm, because it allows high image quality with still very reasonable size and weight for camera and lenses. While 48 X 36mm would have been my personal choice, it would have required a larger camera and lenses— maybe not such a good thing.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Medium Format is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 33 cents a day ($120/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
These systems are hugely expensive, so make the right choice for your own needs (full frame vs medium format).
- In-depth lens evaluations covering behaviors not likely to be found anywhere else, based on real-world field shooting.
- How to configure menus and buttons and best operating practices, gotchas and how-to.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens and camera behaviors.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 100 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.