EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2022-08-18 15:50:04
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 18.104.22.168
This discussion is a condensed version of the series found in Medium Format Magazine. The tips that follow are discussed and may be somewhat simplified here.
Anyone moving to medium format surely wants the best possible results, since medium format is a great expense and more of a hassle than smaller formats. Why bother with the bother if you are not getting the best results?
In this overview, I share key tips for making a technically optimal image, which among other practices I term “shot discipline,” a term I credit to Ming Thein and which he touches upon in his essay in the debut issue of the Medium Format Magazine. Shot discipline includes composition and lighting, but this overview will cover only the technical aspects. The related term “shot execution” refers to the full process of the capture. Shot discipline means consistently doing all the things that ought to be done for optimal results.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Medium Format is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 33 cents a day ($120/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
These systems are hugely expensive, so make the right choice for your own needs (full frame vs medium format).
- In-depth lens evaluations covering behaviors not likely to be found anywhere else, based on real-world field shooting.
- How to configure menus and buttons and best operating practices, gotchas and how-to.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens and camera behaviors.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 100 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.