EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2022-01-23 01:38:26
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 220.127.116.11
How does the A7R perform under real-world lighting? Regrettably the light failed and its A7 sibling could not be evaluated here.
I often shoot in shade or at dusk where the light can be very blue. While most any camera can deliver high quality results at higher ISOs under daylight-balanced studio lighting (or daylight), the real test is what a camera can do under field conditions with light that is not optimal. That is what interests your author for noise behavior, not what a perfect-conditions exposure in the lab shows: almost by definition I would be using high ISO under imperfect and often oddball lighting (in spectral terms). Those conditions really put the sensor and electronics to the test as they stray into the electronic dark alleys of imaging performance.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Mirrorless is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to Mirrorless offers comprehensive integrated coverage of most APS-C and full frame mirrorless cameras and lenses.
Special emphasis is placed on Sony full-frame, including Sony lenses and the high performance Zeiss Batis and Zeiss Loxia lenses plus Rokinon/Samyang and others. Fujifilm X, Olympus and Panasonic M4/3, Sigma dp Merrill and dp/sd Quattro are also covered in depth. Years in the making, it offers a wealth of material for choosing and using a mirrorless camera.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away. For example, the best way to set up your Sony camera.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly with the numerous lenses available for Sony.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning—best practices and how-to and processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Sony.