EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2020-05-24 16:17:11
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 220.127.116.11
This series from f/1.8 through f/11 evaluates the Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G on a near-far distance scene and looks at total sharpness near to far and edge to edge.
In addition to general analysis of performance, it examines the all-too-common lens skew which for this particular lens sample leads to closer focus on the right side and more distant focus on the left side, which the scene makes plain to see. The analysis should be useful to anyone looking to acquire an ideal sample of any lens.
Includes images up to full 60MP camera resolution.
View Towards Big Pine and Eastern Sierra, Dusk
Adobe Camera Raw 18.104.22.1686: view ACR settings. Camera Profile = Adobe Color. Aggressive contrast control with curve (challenging!). Lateral chromatic aberration corrected, vignetting corrected. Diffraction mitigating sharpening for f/11.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Mirrorless is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to Mirrorless offers comprehensive integrated coverage of most APS-C and full frame mirrorless cameras and lenses.
Special emphasis is placed on Sony full-frame, including Sony lenses and the high performance Zeiss Batis and Zeiss Loxia lenses plus Rokinon/Samyang and others. Fujifilm X, Olympus and Panasonic M4/3, Sigma dp Merrill and dp/sd Quattro are also covered in depth. Years in the making, it offers a wealth of material for choosing and using a mirrorless camera.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away. For example, the best way to set up your Sony camera.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly with the numerous lenses available for Sony.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning—best practices and how-to and processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops.
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Sony.