Micro Four Thirds 14mm Shootout! Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 ASPH, Olympus SHG 7-14mm f/4 ASPH, Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH, Olympus SHG 7-14mm f/4 ED, Olympus SHG 14-35mm f/2 ED
In my review of the Olympus OM-D E-M5 in my Guide to ALLVIEW (part of DAP at present), I’ve added a five lens 14mm Four Thirds / Micro Four Thirds comparison with the following lenses:
- Olympus SHG 7-14mm f/4 ED.
- Olympus SHG 14-35mm f/2 ED.
- Panasonic G Vario 7-14mm f/4 ASPH.
- Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH.
- Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f/2.5 ASPH.
The test scene was chosen as an exceptionally useful scene for comparing lenses:
- Plenty of fine detail.
- Plenty of “3D” depth yet there is good detail at center, mid zones and corners in order to evaluate performance.
- Contrast challenges, including flare potential and backlighting.
- High contrast black/white edges.
- Some perfectly straight structures.
- Colors, gray scale, blacks, whites, smooth metal and other textures.
- There is an unambiguous target to focus on near the center.