Writing this at 9500' elevation in Yosemite, with a cell signal near Tuolumne Meadows.
I have shot a tremendous amount of material which will take some weeks to analyze and publish upon my return, but I have decided to extend my trip a day or two because an atypical storm front is moving through northern California and with luck some snow will dump near Tioga Pass.
A brief summary of what’s coming.
In Guide to Leica:
- Extensive study of flare with 10 lenses on the Leica M240 and a cross check with the Leica M9. This study clarifies the context of the flare issue with the Leica 50mm f/2 APO-Summicron-M ASPH previously documented.
- Extensive 4-way comparisons of 50mm lenses on the Leica M240: 50/2 APO ASPH, 50/1.4 Summilux ASPH, 50/0.95 Noctilux ASPH, Zeiss ZM 50/2 Planar. In Guide to Leica.
- Evaluation of sharpness with wide angle lenses on Leica M240 vs Leica M9. In Guide to Leica.
- Night shooting with the Leica M Typ 240.
- Why the 35mm /1.4 Summilux is not a good choice for some subjects.
Guide to Mirrorless
- Field shooting notes, examples and extensive experience commentary with the Ricoh GR, especially with night shooting but also all-around.
- Evaluation and aperture series for Fujifilm Fujinon lenses (aperture series and examples): 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4, 60mm f/2.4, 18-55mm f/2.8-4.
- Comparisons and apertures series for Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8 Distagon versus Fujifilm XF 14mm.
- Comparisons and apertures series for Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8 Planar versus Fujifilm XF 35mm f/1.4.
- Field work issues with the Fujifilm X-E1.
Guide to Zeiss
In Guide to Zeiss.
- Field examples (landscape) with the Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO-Sonnar, Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon and 25/2.8 and 25/2 Distagons (compared).
- 100/2 Makro-Planar vs 135/2 APO-Sonnar.
- Field curvature and optimizing focus for the 15/2.8 Distagon (might also make it into Making Sharp Images as a case study).
- Zeiss ZF.2 15/2.8 Distagon on Leica M240 as landscape lens.
- Field shots, bokeh studies, sharpness studies, build and usability, of the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM on the Canon 5D Mark III. (VERY impressed with this lens and I will show why in terms of sharpness and bokeh and color correction).