I bought the Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 GM back when I tested it in 2021. Since then I have used it little. Gorgeous rendering, to be sure, but it’s a marginal performer for landscape.
Most troublesome, the Sony 50/1.2 GM has to be at f/5.6 just to get sharp across the field. But at least is vastly better-behaved than the Nikon Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.2 S.
Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 GM
The fantasy MTF chart for the 50/1.4 GM is impressive, which is to say it is likely bullshit that as with the 50/1.2GM will not match reality. And stopped-down , it has more astigmatism than the 50/1.2 GM. Only field shots can really tell us much—what Sony can design vs what Sony can build are two different things.
- Breathtaking G MasterTM image quality right out to the edges of the frame
- Innovative optics and a large F1.4 aperture deliver magnificent bokeh
- Highly mobile, lightweight and compact lens with incredible performance
- Fast, precise, quiet autofocus and tracking for stills and movies
- Circular aperture with 11-blade iris for naturally rendered bokeh
- Excellent close-up performance and magnification for eye-opening detail
- ED glass element minimizes chromatic aberration for precisely rendered edge detail
- Nano AR Coating II for outstanding clarity and minimized flare and ghosting
- Support for Active Mode2 stabilization for stable handheld video
- Dedicated aperture ring, click/de-click and iris lock switches
- Customizable focus hold buttons in two locations for easy access and control
- Linear Response MF for precise, repeatable manual focus control
- Instant auto/manual focus selection via AF/MF switch
- Front fluorine coating repels fingerprints, dust, water and oil
- Dust and moisture resistant3 design for reliability in challenging conditions
- Compatible with 67 mm filters same as SEL24F14GM and SEL35F14GM
- Round shaped, bayonet mount lens hood ALC-SH173 supplied
Nice specs on paper.
As per Sony.
|f/1.4 - f/16
|16.1in = 41cm
|Angle of view:
|Number of elements/groups:
|14 elements in 11 groups
|11 blades, rounded
|0.39X = 1:2.56
|Weight (as weighed):
|18.2 oz = 516 (nominal)
|Approx. 3.2 X 3.8 in = 80.6 X 96mm
Front Lens Cap