EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2021-12-08 19:59:46
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 126.96.36.199
Three brand-new samples with optical issues does not inspire confidence, but those willing to buy and do the tedious work of testing might find they have an outstanding optic at their disposal; it’s clear that the optical design of the 100/2.8L is first rate, and that the lens is extremely well corrected in multiple ways. Clearly it is state of the art in some ways, and central sharpness is very high, albeit with the strange edge blur on all the samples.
The question is where does this lens fit? The image stabilization and autofocus are of little use for tripod-based macro photography, nor is the focus ring very appealing for manual focus as compared to a focusing helicoid (think Zeiss ZE 100mm f/2 Makro-Planr).
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Advanced DSLR is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 16 cents a day ($60/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd DAP is DSLR-oriented, but also contains workflow and other topics. Much of the focus is on Canon and Nikon but also Pentax and Pentax medium format.
Special emphasis is placed on lens evaluation, focusing on Canon and Nikon and Sigma lenses, but with a few others like Rokinon/Samyang.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly some of the new Sigma Art lenses vs Nikon and Canon.
- Workflow discusses image organization, raw conversion and post processing. Many examples show processing parameters for direct insight into how the image was converted.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.