EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2022-05-28 22:14:57
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 188.8.131.52
This real-world shooting situation pushes the dynamic range of the Canon EOS 5DS R to its limits. Two conflicting goals present: shadow detail in the backlit tree trunks, and retaining the last lingering red/orange tones in the sky. The exposure was thus driven by the goal of not blowing out that sky detail, which naturally shortchanges the darker areas.
This is the sort of image that the Nikon D810 or Pentax 645Z just shrug off as routine, hardly breaking a sweat. But the Canon 5DS R is hard pressed to manage the dynamic range of the scene, and your author had to take great care with exposure.
Long exposure noise reduction was enabled in the camera (dark frame subtraction).
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Advanced DSLR is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 16 cents a day ($60/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd DAP is DSLR-oriented, but also contains workflow and other topics. Much of the focus is on Canon and Nikon but also Pentax and Pentax medium format.
Special emphasis is placed on lens evaluation, focusing on Canon and Nikon and Sigma lenses, but with a few others like Rokinon/Samyang.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly some of the new Sigma Art lenses vs Nikon and Canon.
- Workflow discusses image organization, raw conversion and post processing. Many examples show processing parameters for direct insight into how the image was converted.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.