EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2019-06-26 00:11:07
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 220.127.116.11
This page shows the effects of inaccurate autofocus for portraiture, helpful in understanding what to expect from the Sigma 35/1.4 when focus is not quite right. The ability to recognize what is almost sharp is a prerequisite for “nailing it”.
These images were taken BEFORE the Fine Focus Adjust feature was used to tweak the Nikon D800E autofocus. The Nikon 35/1.4G would have suffered the same fate, and been even less sharp.
Because the Sigma 35/1.4 DG HSM offers such high quality wide open, a minor focus error is more obvious.
By comparison, a slight focus error with the Nikon 35/1.4G is less noticeable because the results are smeared to begin with (at f/1.4).
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Advanced DSLR is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 16 cents a day ($60/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd DAP is DSLR-oriented, but also contains workflow and other topics. Much of the focus is on Canon and Nikon but also Pentax and Pentax medium format.
Special emphasis is placed on lens evaluation, focusing on Canon and Nikon and Sigma lenses, but with a few others like Rokinon/Samyang.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly some of the new Sigma Art lenses vs Nikon and Canon.
- Workflow discusses image organization, raw conversion and post processing. Many examples show processing parameters for direct insight into how the image was converted.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.