EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2023-03-21 17:52:16
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 18.104.22.168
M9 and the Live View Future
Leica’s omission of a Live View function in the M9 is its single most disappointing and versatility-killing limitation. That fact remains true regardless of whether it was technically possible at the time the M9 was designed.
According to Leica, the full-readout CCD sensor itself cannot support the functionality because it would have to read out an 18MP image for a single refresh cycle. But that’s a sensor choice that could be remedied with a future sensor design.
Implicit in the term Live View for ALLVIEW cameras is BOTH a high-resolution LCD and a high-resolution electronic viewfinder (EVF).
Numerous uses beyond traditional journalistic and documentary applications are possible with Live View / EVF, and the demand for mirorrless cameras is the result.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.