EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2023-02-03 06:05:50
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 188.8.131.52
MTF of the Leica 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH is excellent centrally at f/2.8, dropping off gracefully but strongly just before the edge of the frame.
Frame edge is at 18mm offset. Note the abrupt drop-off in contrast just before frame edge: this is field curvature, and a real-world example of it for the 24/2.8 ASPH is shown here.
The strong field curvature at frame edge and frame corners absolutely demands f/8 for any subject whose edges or corners are at the plane of focus, or in front of it. By the same principle, subjects whose edges/corners are more distant will benefit from the field curvature.
Mouse over the apertures below to compare.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.