EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2018-03-21 02:13:30
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 18.104.22.168
This ISO series from ISO 320 to ISO 25600 is available at full sensor resolution.
Adobe Camera Raw 9.0 (414). ACR settings. Camera Profile = Embedded.
Your author’s typical sharpening was used as with the M240; this can accentuate noise a bit, but sharpening is a necessity and hence this is a realistic real-world assessment.
Exposure was as perfect as can be, pushing the highlights right out to the right side of the histogram. Thus the noise behavior is as good as it gets and would only be less good were the exposure less than optimal.
Noise is fine-grained and tight at all ISO values, but some chunkiness and streaking develop at ISO 25,600. The entire-frame images are compressed at high quality, but see the crop also, which was compressed at maximum quality JPEG.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 7 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q, Leica SL.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to 28 megapixels filling up to 5K display, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.