Get Nikon 28mm at B&H Photo.
If the new about $1997 Nikon AF-S 28mm f/1.4E ED is designed to the same level as the Nikon 105mm f/1.4E, then we can expect outstanding performance at a price less than half that of the Zeiss Otus 28mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon—lighter, smaller and with autofocus. Even if it ends up being a little less good, that’s a big win on several counts.
- F-Mount Lens/FX Format
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16
- Two Extra Low-Dispersion Elements
- Three Aspherical Elements
- Nano Crystal & Super Integrated Coatings Protective Fluorine Coating
- Silent Wave Motor AF System Rear Focusing System; MF Override Electromagnetic
- Nine-Blade Diaphragm
A fast and versatile wide-angle prime, the AF-S NIKKOR 28mm f/1.4E ED from Nikon is a flexible lens designed for FX-format F-mount DSLRs. Pairing with the comfortable focal length is the bright f/1.4 maximum aperture, which benefits working in low-light conditions and also offers increased control over depth of field.
The optical construction utilizes two extra low-dispersion glass to correct chromatic aberrations and color fringing for notable clarity and color fidelity, and Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings have also been applied to suppress lens flare and ghosting for greater contrast when working in strong lighting conditions.
Additionally, three aspherical elements are used to control spherical aberrations and distortion for high sharpness and accurate rendering.
Balancing the optical attributes, the lens is also characterized by a Silent Wave Motor that produces fast, smooth, and quiet autofocus capabilities, along with the ability to manually override focus at any time for more selective control. A rear focusing system also helps maintain the overall lens length during use by solely moving the rear lens group during use for faster performance. An electromagnetic diaphragm is also featured for greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with faster continuous shooting rates.
- Versatile wide-angle prime is designed for FX-format Nikon F-mount DSLRs and can also be used on DX models where it provides a 42mm equivalent focal length.
- Notably fast f/1.4 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also affords increased control over depth of field.
- Two extra-low dispersion glass elements are used in the optical construction to reduce a variety of chromatic aberrations and color fringing for a high degree of clarity and color neutrality.
- Three aspherical elements are featured to control spherical aberrations and distortion in order to produce notable sharpness and resolution.
- Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings has been applied to lens elements to minimize surface and internal reflections for a marked reduction in lens flare and ghosting.
- Fluorine coating on exposed elements affords protection to the optical system.
- Silent Wave Motor autofocus mechanism provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance that is ideal for photographing fast-moving subjects.
- Full-time manual focus override allows instant switching between AF and MF focusing systems by just rotating the focus ring at any time.
- Rear focusing design maintains the overall lens length during operation and contributes to faster focusing speeds.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
Infrared shooters: Nikon state that the Nano Crystal Coating is optimized out to 780 nm, 680nm to 800nm being the range I favored for infrared shooting in years prior.
An anti-reflective coating developed by Nikon that virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths. Nano Crystal Coat uses ultrafine, nano-sized* crystal particles to eliminate reflections inside the lens throughout the spectrum of visible light waves (380 to 780 nm) in ways that far exceed the limits of conventional antireflection coating systems. Nano Crystal Coat not only solves ghost effects caused by red light, which was incredibly difficult for previous systems. It also effectively reduces ghost and flare effects caused by light entering the lens diagonally. The result: clearer images.
|Aperture scale:||f/1.4 - f/16|
|Diaphragm blades:||9 blades|
|Number of elements/groups:||14 elements in 11 groups|
|Focusing range:||11.02 in / 28cm|
|Image ratio at close range:||.17X = 1:5.9|
|Weight, nominal:||1.42 lb / 645 g|
|Dimensions:||3.27 x 3.96 in / 83 x 100.5 mm|
|Street price:||about $1997|
|Includes:||77mm Snap-On Lens Cap
LF-4 Rear Lens Cap
HB-83 Lens Hood CL-1118 Soft Lens Case
Limited 1-Year Warranty
Limited 4-Year USA Warranty Extension upon Registration