About 5 days ago I reported on some site issues. I’ve rejiggered my email server and it all seems to be working properly, but that is as yet unproven to my satisfaction (not on my end, but the Comcast connection). Let me know at my alternate email address @me.com if you send me an email and it goes unanswered.
Today I swapped the email server over, after 5 hours of Comcast hell. Comcast technical support is an oxymoron: they don’t know even the rudiments of port mapping and NAT and can scarcely comprehend a static IP, but one of them was so belligerent he was willing to argue, believe it or not. Still, two of four were at least honest, even if they had no answers.
The worst part is that the Comcast cable modems *all* have a serious bug in routing local LAN to WAN IP and back—I found that 5 or 6 years ago and it still fails even after I supplied all the technical details to Comcast Level 2 support. Upshot is that I have a workable solution (with work/home hassles of reconfiguration). It’s a temporary solution—I’m going to relocate the servers—dealing with Comcast is worse than a root canal. Dang I’d love to dump Comcast and have 10 times the speed for 1/6 the price that a friend of mine has (gigabit fiber).