NEC PA Series Overview (PA242W, PA272W, PA302W)
Related: color gamut, color space and gamut, computer display, display, gamut, workflow
In October 2013, NEC release three new wide-gamut displays:
- PA242W (replaces PA241W)
- PA272W (replaces PA271W)
- PA302W (replaces PA301W)
All three displays are available with the updated hardware calibration device and NEC SpectraView II software, which is strongly recommended for display calibration and profiling. The displays bundled with the calibration solution are designated as BK-SV.
General comments and observations
Diglloyd.com has set up and calibrated all three models (24, 27, 30 inch models); the comments here reflect that hands-on usage.
- All units are silent (no fan). I detected no noise, even in a quiet office.
- All units have the same screen quality in terms of color and surface treatment of the display.
- All units tested included multiple cables (USB, Mini DisplayPort, DVI-D) and power cables for USA and European power.
- While the displays have USB upstream and downstream ports, these are USB2 ports, not USB3.
- While the displays support Mini DisplayPort, it’s that alone (not Thunderbolt) and not daisy-chainable as Thunderbolt.
- According to NEC, the PA series has a gamut that is 61% of ProPhotoRGB (that’s excellent, since ProPhotoRGB is an extremely wide color space).
$2699 SAVE $1600 = 37.0% Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (Late 2016, Space Gray) in Computers: Other
$4599 SAVE $300 = 6.0% Apple 27" iMac Pro with Retina 5K Display (Late 2017) in Computers: Apple Macs
$108 SAVE $55 = 33.0% Samsung 500GB T5 Portable Solid-State Drive (Blue) in Computers: Drives and Storage